WBCS 2021 Examination held on 22 August 2021. West Bengal Civil Service (Executive) popularly known as W.B.C.S.(Exe.). It is now known as West Bengal Administrative Service. It is the state administrative civil service cadre of the Indian state of West Bengal. For the West Bengal Administrative Service and other civil service posts, the Public Service Commission of West Bengal arranges competitive examinations every year in three phases every year. These phases are Preliminary, Mains, and Personality Test.
- The word ‘claustrophobia’ means
Ans. (C) fear of confined spaces
- The past tense of rewind is
Ans. (C) rewound
- The synonym of supercilious is
Ans. (D) haughty
- Select the correct spelling :
Ans. (B) Accommodation
- Choose the right word for love of
Ans. (C) Narcissism
- To feel ‘under the weather’ means
Ans. (C) feel unwell
- Fill in the blank with the suitable preposition : He presided the
Ans. (A) over
- The idiomatic expression ‘make both ends meet’ means
Ans. (A) get by
- Fill in the blank with the suitable option :
She from the bus and walked to the back-gate.
Ans. (D) alighted
- The expression ‘holier than thou’ means
Ans. (D) sanctimonious
- Choose the right option :
While I in the library, someone threw a ball through the window.
Ans. (A) was sitting
- The serenity of the place overwhelmed Replace the underlined word with a suitable word.
Ans. (B) Calmness
- A place where bees are kept—
Ans. (D) Apiary
- Fill in with a suitable preposition :
He is taller than you two inches.
Ans. (D) by
- Which is the correct sentence?
Ans. (B) A one-eyed person was seen roaming about the streets.
- Convert the given sentence into an interrogative sentence :
I will meet you tomorrow.
Ans. (D) When will you meet me?
- The word ‘officious’ means
Ans. (A) self-important
- Add a suitable prefix to form the opposite of the word ‘capable’.
Ans. (D) Incapable
- Select the correct answer to fill in the blank. The ship, with its crew,
Ans. (B) was
- The antonym of the word superficial is
Ans. (A) Deep
- The word vicissitude means
Ans. (A) change
- Fill in the blank with the right option : He was offended me
Ans. (C) with
- The antonym of the word weird is
Ans. (A) Normal
- ‘La Gioconda’ (Mona Lisa) is unique work of
Fill in the blank with the suitable article.
Ans. (C) a
- The idiomatic expression, once in a blue moon, means
Ans. (A) rarely
- The responsibility for printing currency notes in India lies in the hand of
Ans. (C) Reserve Bank of India
- Who founded the Asiatic Society in Calcutta? (C) William Jones
- The Chief Justice of High Court is appointed by the
Ans. (B) President
- A person on a swing stands up. The time period of the swing
Ans. (C) decreases
- New Delhi, the new Capital of India was inaugurated by Lord Irwin in the year
Ans. (C) 1931
- Who is the present Chief Election Commissioner of India (as of June, 2021)?
Ans. (B) Sushil Chandra
- Which Sultan was not a slave before he ascended the throne?
Ans. (C) Alauddin Khilji
- A battery consists of 10 cells, each of emf If 2 cells are wrongly connected, the emf of the battery becomes
Ans. (C) 6V
- Who propagated the ‘safety valve theory’ and about which organization?
Ans. (A) A. O. Hume, about Indian National Congress
- ‘Chipko Andolon’ is known as
Ans. (A) Feminist Movement
- Who was the editor of the nationalist newspaper ‘Sandhya’?
Ans. (B) Bramhabandhab Upadhyay
- In West Bengal, Export Processing Zone (EPZ) has started functioning at
Ans. (B) Falta
- Siachen glacier is located in the following range :
Ans. (A) Karakoram
- In terms of thermal conductivity (k) and electrical conductivity (d), diamond has
Ans. (B) high k and low d
- Who wrote Ramcharitmanas?
Ans. (C) Tulsidas
- Which Indian Nationalist Leader is known as ‘Grand Old Man of India’?
Ans. (D) Dadabhai Naoroji
- Who among the following freedom fighters did not belong to revolutionary (militant) nationalism?
Ans. (C) Matangini Hazra
- What was the Carlyle Circular and when was it issued in colonial India?
Ans. (D) A decree to prevent nationalist protests amongst students in educational institutions during the Partition of Bengal.
- Gandhiji was influenced by
Ans. (A) Tolstoy
- Joseph Robinette Biden , the 46th President of the USA belongs to the political party named
Ans. (C) Democratic Party
- According to the Census of India 2011, which one of the following Union Territories had the highest sex ratio?
Ans. (B) Puducherry
- What proportion of the Insurance Premium payable for Swasthya-Sathi Scheme is borne by the State Government?
Ans. (C) 100%
- The new station constructed and established by India in March, 2012 for scientific research in Antarctica is called
Ans. (B) Bharati
- Which commodity tops the current list of imported commodity of India?
Ans. (D) Petrolium crudes
- Which was the first incident of a British official’s assassination after the revolt of 1857?
Ans. (A) Assassination of British official W. C. Rand by Chapekar Brothers
- The Election Commission is constructed by the
Ans. (C) President
- A heavy body and a light body have equal kinetic Then
Ans. (A) heavy body has greater momentum.
- Pure silicon at 0 K is
Ans. (C) insulator
- The solar cooker works on the same principle as
Ans. (C) Greenhouse
- Mansab means
Ans. (A) A rank or office
- A boat floating in a tank is carrying some If the passengers drink water from the tank, how will it affect the water level of the tank?
Ans. (D) It will remain same.
- Who said, “An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind”?
Ans. (B) M. K. Gandhi
- The Hindi film ‘Padman’ released in 2018 was inspired by the true life story of
Ans. (A) Arunachalam Muruganantham
- In the Constitution of India, ‘Protection of Life and Personal Liberty’ is guaranteed under Article
Ans. (A) 21
- How many new Government Medical Colleges have become functional in West Bengal during the last ten years?
Ans. (B) 6
- Judges of Supreme Court retire at the age of
Ans. (C) 65 years
- When was the First Industrial Policy resolution taken?
Ans. (C) 1948
- The highest peak of the Eastern Ghats is
Ans. (C) Jindhagada
- If the length of the filament of a heater is reduced by 10%, the power of the heater will
Ans. (B) increase by about 11%
- Which animal was part of the symbol of Netaji’s INA Flag?
Ans. (C) Tiger
- Which is the Direct Tax in India?
Ans. (C) Wealth Tax
- Ratio of the rms speed and the most probable speed for molecules in an ideal gas is
Ans. (C) Ö3 : Ö2
- Researchers has discovered recently antibody of which virus in bats from Mahabalaswar cave?
Ans. (A) Nipah
- Largest wind farm of India is located in
Ans. (A) Tamil Nadu
- Which Medieval ruler introduced Ain-i-Dahsala?
Ans. (D) Akbar
- Who coined the slogan ‘Swaraj is my birth right’?
Ans. (C) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
- Ibn Batuta came to India during which rulers’ reign?
Ans. (C) Muhammad Bin Tughlaq
- A pendulum clock that keeps correct time on the earth, is taken to It will then run
Ans. (D) Ö6 times slower.
- Who among the following cricketers won the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, 2020?
Ans. (D) Rohit Sharma
- Government of India passed the Act to protect the human rights in the year
Ans. (B) 1993
- Punarbhava and Atrai are the distributaries of the following river :
Ans. (B) Teesta
- Who was the hero of Rampa Rebellion of 1922-24?
Ans. (D) Alluri Sitha Rama Raju
- What was the major symbol of Mahatma Gandhi during his non-violent freedom struggle?
Ans. (B) His charka (spinning wheel)
- Neeti Ayog was formed on
Ans. (A) January 1, 2015
- Sabooj-Sathi is a scheme for distribution of Bicycles to students of Government / Government Aided Schools / Madrasahs reading in
Ans. (D) Classes IX to XII
- The largest glacier of India is
Ans. (C) Siachen
- NRC is now in form of a
Ans. (D) None of the above
- Who is the author of Allahabad Pillar Inscription?
Ans. (B) Harisena
- Dry ice means
Ans. (D) Solid CO2
- What is the maximum Government Subsidy that can be availed by a beneficiary under the Gatidhara Scheme?
Ans. (B) Rs. 1,00,000
- Article 18 of the Indian Constitution guarantees the right to
Ans. (A) Equality
- Khajuraho, ‘the City of the Gods’ a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the name of which was first referred in the 11th century CE by
Ans. (C) Abu Rihan Alberuni
- Who wrote Amuktamalyada?
Ans. (D) Krishnadeva Raya
- The boundary line of Sundarban was demarcated by
Ans. (D) Dampier and Hodges
- The Nayankara system is associated with
Ans. (D) The Vijayanagara Empire
- Who has been named the captain of the Indian Men’s Hockey Team for the Tokyo Olympics?
Ans. (A) Manpreet Singh
- The Valley of Kashmir is located in between the following ranges :
Ans. (A) Zaskar and Pir Panjal
- ‘Dandi March’ had inaugurated which movement?
Ans. (C) Civil Disobedience Movement
- The largest IT company in India is (as of June, 2021)
Ans. (C) TCS
- Which Bengal poet composed the song ‘Ban eshechhe mora gange’ during the Partition of Bengal?
Ans. (D) Mukunda Das
- The leader of the Narmada Bachao Andolon is
Ans. (B) Medha Patker
- Who was known as the ‘Sher-i-Bangal’?
Ans. (A) Fazlul Haque
- Which part of the world was the agenda of Khilafat movement involved with?
Ans. (D) Turkey
- What was the original name of Titumir?
Ans. (B) Syed Mir Nasar Ali
- Which of the following is not a unit of distance?
Ans. (D) Jiffy
- The Asiad Gold Medalist Boxer passed away recently at the age of Who is he/she?
Ans. (B) Dingko Singh
- Pakistan Resolution was taken on
Ans. (D) 23rd March 1940
- The Subaltern School of historiography was spearheaded by
Ans. (B) Ranajit Guha
- Dubbed as the Dakshina Ganga (Ganges of the South), the largest river of South India is
Ans. (A) the Godavari
- Who won the French Open in 2021?
Ans. (D) Novak Djokovic
- India is a
Ans. (A) Union of states
- Which Muslim general conquered Bengal in the thirteenth century?
Ans. (B) Iqtiaruddin Bin Baktiar Khilji
- The binary equivalent of decimal number 4 $ 625 is
Ans. (C) 100.101
- What is the limit of the Annual turnover for small enterprises?
Ans. Correct answer is absent.
Correct answer is not more than 50 crore (w.e.f. July 2020)
- What was the ‘Eka Movement’?
Ans. (B) A Peasant movement
- ‘Perseverance’ over was successfully landed by NASA on the surface of
Ans. (B) the Mars
- Which Turkish Sultan introduced the Iqta system?
Ans. (C) Iltutmish
- Vikramsila Bihara was founded by
Ans. (B) Dharmapala
- Which among the following novels of Sarat Chandra vividly reflected the revolutionary movement of India?
Ans. (B) Pather Dabi
- The following river divides West Bengal and Assam:
Ans. (B) Sankosh
- The following state is the highest producer of tin in India:
Ans. (D) Chhattisgarh
- Which revolutionary leader made ‘mercy petitions’ from jail?
Ans. (A) V. D. Savarkar
- Whom among the following historians does not belong to the Aligarh School?
Ans. (A) Anil Seal
- Which one of the following sequence of the Himalayan ranges from south to north is correct?
Ans. (D) Pir Panjal-Zaskar-Ladakh-Karakoram
- The recently much talked about ‘toolkit’ is basically
Ans. (C) a digital equivalent of pamphlets and fliers that helped mobilise protesters.
- ‘Letters from Burma’ is a book of essays penned by
Ans. (A) Aung San Suu Kyi
- Family Income Ceiling for Kanyashree Scheme is not applicable if
Ans. (D) All of the above
- When did Sakabda commence?
Ans. (A) 78 A.D.
- The names of Sidho and Kanho are associated with which rebellion?
Ans. (C) Santhal rebellion
- Inter-state council is formed by the
Ans. (D) President
- The ratio of the diameters of moon and earth is nearly
Ans. (C) 1 : 4
- Sharavati Hydroelectric Project is located in:
Ans. (B) Karnataka
- Started in June, 2014 by the Union Government of India, the ‘Namami Gange’ Programme is associated with
Ans. (D) National Mission for Clean Ganga
- Who was the Chief Guest of Republic Day, 2021 in India?
Ans. (D) None of them
- A vehicle covers half the distance wih uniform speed v1 and the other half with uniform speed v2. The average speed of the vehicle is
Ans. (D) 2v1 v2
- Who was the Governor General of India when Gandhiji
initiated Civil Disobedience Movement?
Ans. (D) Lord Irwin
- The spectrum of color in Compact Disc (CD) is due to
Ans. (C) Diffraction
- The Partition of Bengal was annulled in
Ans. (B) 1911
- When was the University of Calcutta established?
Ans. (D) 1857
- The power of a lens is +2.0D. The focal length of the lens and its nature are
Ans. (B) 50 cm, convex
- The Nobel Prize in Literature 2020 was awarded to
Ans. (A) Louise GlÜck
- The freezing chest in refrigerator is kept near the top because
Ans. (D) convection currents are set up.
- A spring of spring constant k is cut into two equal halves. The spring constant of each half is now
Ans. (C) 2k
- The velocity ratio of the hour hand and minute hand of a clock is
Ans. (A) 1 : 12
- is called as ‘‘His Superfluous Highness’’.
Ans. (B) Vice-President
- In India, topographical map is published from the following organization :
Ans. (C) SOI
- Sandhyakar Nandi was the court poet of the
Ans. (D) Palas
- President of India is elected by
Ans. (D) Both the Houses of Parliament along with the Members of the State Assemblies.
- The following coastal area of India was affected by ‘Hudhud Cyclone’:
Ans. (C) Andhra coast
- Kurnool-Kudapa Canal is taken off from the following river :
Ans. (D) Tungabhadra
- According to WHO, the official name of the virus responsible for Covid-19 disease is
Ans. (A) SARS-CoV-2
- The confluence of Bhagirathi and Alakananda is located at
Ans. (B) Devprayag
- Under which amendment of the Indian Constitution the voting age reduced to 18 from 21?
Ans. (C) 61st
- Central Rice Research Institute is located in
Ans. (A) Cuttack
- The waves produced by motor boat sailing on water are
Ans. (C) longitudinal and transverse
- Who wrote ‘Poverty and Unbritish Rule in India’?
Ans. (B) Dadabhai Naoroji
- Mukutmanipur Dam is located across the following river :
Ans. (D) Kangsabati
- Who had designed the first Indian National Flag?
Ans. (A) Vicoji Rustam Kama
- Badland topography is an important characteristic of the following region :
Ans. (D) Chambal Valley
- Who was the Mughal emperor during the Revolt of 1857?
Ans. (C) Bahadur Shah II
- Solder used for joining metal parts together is an alloy of
Ans. (D) Sn and Pb
- Who wrote the drama Neeldarpan?
Ans. (D) Dinabandhu Mitra
- Dilatometer is used for the measurement of
Ans. (C) dimensional change in material
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize is awarded in the field of
Ans. (B) Science and Technology
- The Sundarban is declared as ‘Ramsar site’ in
Ans. (D) 2019
- The variability of rainfall during August in India would be more pronounced generally at
Ans. (C) Jodhpur
- Bengal Revolutionaries were largely inspired by which Revolutionary movements of Great Britain?
Ans. (B) Irish
- To which following movement is the term ‘ulgulan’ associated with?
Ans. (A) Munda uprising
- Inflation is
Ans. (D) continuous increase in price level.
- Who is the custodian of the Indian Constitution?
Ans. (D) Supreme Court
- Who was involved with the ‘India Independence League’?
Ans. (D) Rashbihari Bose
- Article 21 of the Indian Constitution ensues
Ans. (C) Right to Life and Personal Liberty
- Name of the super cyclone ‘Yaas’ , was given by
Ans. (B) Oman
- Mica producing district of West Bengal is
Ans. (D) Purulia
- Hydraulic press is based on
Ans. (B) Pascal’s law
- Khutba was
Ans. (A) a sermon read in the name of the ruler at Friday prayers.
- Although the final match between England and New Zealand was a tie, England won the 2019 ICC World The reason was
Ans. (B) England won Super Over by boundaries.
- Money Bill is finally determined by
Ans. (B) Speaker
- The chopping of an onion makes one cry because of the chemical containing
Ans. (A) Sulphur
- Members of the Public Accounts Committee are elected by
Ans. (C) The members of the both Houses of Parliament through the method of proportional representation by single transferable vote.
- What is the missing number? 1, 2, 10, 47, 37, 101, ?
Ans. (B) 226
- Today is Monday, after 61 days it will be
Ans. (B) Saturday
- The ratio of 6 inch to 4 feet will be
Ans. (D) 1 : 8
- Exclusive Proposition : Which is the correct option? Many smokers get
Ans. (C) Smoking may lead to cancer.
- ‘School’ is related to ‘Student’ in the same way as ‘Hospital’ is related to .
Ans. (D) Patient
- Should seniority be the only criterion for the promotion?
Argument : 1. No : It would be an injustice to those
juniors who are deserving and suitable for promotion than senior counterpart.
- Yes : Otherwise senior employees may feel
- Yes : Senior employees are more experienced and must be rewarded for the
Ans. (A) Only ‘1’ is strong.
- Manoj can type 100 pages of a report in 10 hours and Bobby can do the same in 15 They worked together for 5 hours. The remaining work was completed by Lucy in 2 hrs. If they received Rs. 2,400 for whole work, Lucy got
Ans. (D) Rs. 400
- Pointing to a gentleman, Somenath said “His only brother is the father of my daughter’s father”. How is the gentleman related to Somenath?
Ans. (B) Uncle
- A train is 150 m long. It is running at a speed of 41 kmph. A man is running at 11 kmph in the same direction as the train. In what time will it pass the man?
Ans. (A) 18 seconds
- ‘DUMA’ is related to ‘Russia’ in the same way as ‘ECCLESIA’ is related to .
Ans. (C) Greece
- Exclusive Proposition : Which is the correct option? If a person is rich, he has lot of influence
Ans. (C) Tapas is rich and so he has a lot of influence.
- Given set (7, 77, 140) then follows
Ans. (B) (6, 66, 120)
- A building which is 64 feet high cast a shadow of length 96 feet. The height of telephone tower, which cast a shadow of length 180 feet, under similar condition is
Ans. (C) 120 feet
- Mohan takes 6 hours to do job. Laltu takes 10 hours to do the same How long should it take if Mohan and Laltu work together the same job?
Ans. (B) 3 3 hrs.
- Today is Thursday, the day after 59 days will be
Ans. (A) Sunday
- What is the missing number? 32, 19, 8, ?
Ans. (D) 1
- 480 students out of 1500 are enrolled in NCC. What percentage of students are not there in NCC?
Ans. (B) 68%
- A ladder is kept against a wall. The top of the ladder touches the wall at a height of 270 cm from the ground. The base of the ladder is 54 cm away from the wall on the ground. Find the length of the ladder.
Ans. (C) 75816 cm.
- Naseer started from ‘X’ point and walked straight 5 kms west, then turned left and walked straight 3 kms and again turned left and walked straight 7 kms. In which direction is he from point ‘X’?
Ans. (A) South-East
- How many times do the hands of a clock coincide in a day?
Ans. (D) 22
- Should the number of holidays of government employees be reduced?
Argument : 1. Yes : Our government employees are
having the maximum number of holidays among countries of the world.
- Yes : It is a sign of British legacy which should be carried
- Yes : It will speed up work and all pending jobs can be completed well in
- No : Employees must be given ample spare time to spend with
Note: Only 3 is strong. But there is no such option.
- Given set (8, 3, 2) then follows
Ans. (C) (63, 8, 3)
- Choose the word in the option that is farthest in meaning to the capitalised
Ans. (B) UNATTRACTIVE
- Pointing towards a girl in the picture, Meghna said, “She is mother of ‘Jhuma’, whose father is my son”. How is ‘Meghna’ related to the girl in the picture?
Note: According to English version, the answer is Mother-in-Law which is not in option, but according to Bengali version, the answer is Grand Mother that is in option (D).
- Exclusive Proposition : Which is the correct option? All students are not
Ans. (B) Many students are not genius.
|Exam Phase||Paper||Time||Subject||Question Type||Total Marks|
|Preliminary Exams||1 paper (qualifying)||2½ hrs.||General Studies (8 topics including Reasoning, English language, History, Geography, Current Affairs, General Knowledge, General Science, and Indian Polity and Economy||MCQ||200|
|Main Exams||Paper I||3 hrs.||Bengali / Hindi / Urdu / Nepali/Santali||Descriptive||200|
|Paper III||General Studies-I : History & Geography||MCQ||200|
|Paper IV||General Studies-II : Science & Technology, Environment, G.K and Current Affairs||200|
|Paper V||The Constitution of India & Indian Economy||200|
|Paper VI||Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning||200|
|Paper VII||Optional Subject Paper I||Descriptive||200|
|Paper VIII||Optional Subject Paper II||200|
|Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D|
|200 Marks||150 Marks||100 Marks|
Services are allocated in four groups, which are as follows:
- West Bengal Administrative Service (WBAS)
- West Bengal Revenue Service (WBRS)
- West Bengal Co-operative Service (WBCoS)
- West Bengal Labour Service (WBLS)
- West Bengal Food and Supplies Service (WBF&FS)
- West Bengal Employment Service (Non-Technical) (WBES)
- West Bengal Police Service (WBPS)
- West Bengal Correctional Home Services
- Joint Block Development Officer (Jt. BDO)
- Deputy Assistant Director of Consumers and Fair Business Practices
- West Bengal Junior Social Welfare Service (WBJSWS)
- Assistant Canal Revenue Officer (Irrigation) (ACRO–Irrigation)
- West Bengal Sub-ordinate Land Revenue Services, Grade-I (SLRO)
- Assistant Commercial Tax Officer (ACTO)
- Chief Controller of Correctional Service (CCCS)
- Inspector of Co-operative Societies (ICoS)
- Panchayat Development Officer (PDO)
- Rehabilitation Officer (RO)